Thus the maximum number of connections between devices on the network can be calculated bertopologi this mesh is n (n-1) / 2. Moreover, because every device can connect to other devices on the network, each device must have as many as n-1 Port Input / Output (I / O ports).
Based on the above understanding, would be an example that if as many as 5 (five) computers will be connected in a mesh topology so that all connections between computers to function optimally, the necessary connection cables as much as five (5-1) / 2 = 10 cable connection, and each each computer must have a port I / O ports as much as 5-1 = 4 (see picture).
With this form of such relationship, mesh topology has several advantages, namely:
* Relationship dedicated links guarantees direct data delivered to the destination computer without having to go through another computer so it can more quickly because one link is used exclusively for communicating with the destination computer only (not used beramai-ramai/sharing).
* Having a robust nature, namely the event of disruption to computer connection A with computer B because of damage to the cable connections (links) between A and B, then the disturbance will not affect computer A connection with other computers.
* Privacy and security in mesh topology is more reliable, because the communication that occurs between the two computers will not be accessible by other computers.
* Facilitate the process of problem identification in the event of damage to connections between computers.
Nevertheless, the mesh topology is not without its shortcomings. Some deficiencies can be recorded as follows:
* Requires a lot of cable and port I / O. more and more computers in a mesh topology is needed more and more cable links and I / O ports (see the formula computation needs of cable and port).
* It also indicates that once the topology of this type * Because every computer must be connected directly with other computers then the installation and configuration becomes more difficult.
* Number of cable used also suggests the need to allow space in the room where the computers are located.
Based on the advantages and disadvantages, mesh topology is usually implemented on the main computers where each computer is the main form separate networks with different topologies (hybrid network).